I suggest you ...

Legislation, By-Laws & Policy Wiki

Implement a wiki (user editable content) for tracking, suggesting and commenting on existing and proposed legislation, by-laws and policies.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    grantneufeldAdmingrantneufeld (Admin, Wayground) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tatiana k. tatiana k. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that some legislation can be very murky. If there was some place to read about proposed legislation in plain English, and explain the consequences and implications thereof, it would really help with citizen involvement.

• grantneufeldAdmingrantneufeld (Admin, Wayground) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the comments, but those are more about city council issues than the features and functions of the Calgary Democracy website. Do you have any thoughts on what should be the priorities for the development of the Calgary Democracy website?

• Michael KriskoMichael Krisko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Transparency: limit 'in camera' meetings to: only draft pre-budgets, negotiations,disciplinary matters. These are the traditional and reasonable areas where in camera meetings might be needed. City Council has gone away beyond these areas, for example, in the awarding of lucrative contracts. Also: stop using the by-law/fines as a source of revenue, and get rid of photo-radar, esp. traffic lights, and generally the use of cameras in public places to photograph citizens.Whatever way you cut it, such uses of cameras are an invasion of our right to privacy, these rights are quickly being eroded.
        Michael Krisko - Alderman Candidate, Ward 7, City Council
        Michael Krisko
        Candidate - Ward 7

• Raven Raven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! In this way more people can be aware about projects like the Peace Bridge before we pay the contractors. Who knows why it is called "Peace Bridge" anyway? A huge structure like that. Shouldn't Calgarians have a say on what its called? Naming iconic structures is a very powerful tool to increase social awareness. Yes, everyone wants peace (thats generically obvious) so how about... "Fortitude Bridge" in tribute to Haitian's who persevere is the wake of so much suffering.

Feedback and Knowledge Base